View Single Post
Old May 14, 2005, 10:18 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I’m using the PACT unit. I echo what Bob said. Lousy photocopied preliminary instructions, but faster dispensing speeds than the others. There is no wind cover on the scale, so you want a good still-air location to run it. The unit and scale both run off AC adapters only, so you can't go to the range with it. I still keep my old 9V battery-powered Lyman electronic scale for load work-up at the range.

Electronics can fail, but if you follow the PACT instruction to run your check weights from time to time and also use the old-fashioned technique of looking into all your charged cases for any sign of a powder level difference between them, you'll be fine.

I once spotted an excessively tall charge in a LC M-72 30-06 case that I'd fired new and brought back from Camp Perry. A dump and re-charge still was too far up into the neck. I dumped it again and took a flashlight and spotted a lump in the bottom of the case that wouldn't tap out. I got an awl and loosened the lump and pulled it out through the case neck with needle-nose pliers. It was a lump of lead. I presumed it came out of the bottom of the original bullet (exposed base boattail in M-72), worked its way to the bottom of the case during shipping and transport, then was pressure formed to the bottom of the case during firing. I would like to think it explained something about my off-hand scores. But my point is, don't blow off the standard safety step of taking a look just because an electronic readout gives the numbers you expect to see.

Nick

Page generated in 0.03056 seconds with 8 queries