View Single Post
Old November 12, 2011, 06:59 PM   #59
aarondhgraham

I agree with Nnobby45 when he wrote:
Quote:
Ah, but a gun accident. The above rules don't apply. The heartbroken adult must, in addition to the moral consequences, go to prison and pay the price for his negligence. The news media believes that, and so do (as I mentioned) members of our own gun community.

To say the gun accidents shouldn't happen is true to the same extent that other accidets shouldn't happen. Accidents have always happened and always will, even though that fact can't be used as an excuse.

In some states, negligence resulting in death of a child (non gun accident) is business as usual in the court system. The prosecuter has the descretion.

But gun accidents mandate charges and jail time upon conviction. Off to jail goes a heartbroken adult who was negligent only for an instant. Something that could happen to any of us. That gun owner faces mandatory prosecution not forth coming for other accidents doesn't sound fair to me.
I truly believe that as a society we are becoming a group of self-righteous prigs,,,
We seem to revel in the harsh punishment of even accidental offenders,,,
Our society is trending towards the belief that there are no accidents.

There is a quote attributed to Thomas Paine,,,
I believe it applies very well to this situation.

An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty.

It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws.

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression.

And there's always the old,,,
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

JM ns HO

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Page generated in 0.02731 seconds with 8 queries