View Single Post
Old October 18, 2009, 12:19 PM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've always figured that the desirability of any scope has to do with the type of shooting. For instance, if the shooting is always during the daytime, there's no benefit to a large, light-gathering lens. If one is not hunting, a wide field of view is not particularly important.

For target shooting, finer cross hairs and higher magnification allows for more precision, but for no more than some 300 yards, I've found that 10X to 14X is quite adequate.

If a range session will involve more than one distance, and the scope is reset for the different ranges, than, yes, repeatability of the internal adjustments is important. If you go up four clicks, you want the return downward of four clicks to take you back to the original point of aim.

I've never understood this idea about the cost of the gun having anything to do with the cost of the scope. When I bought my $350 Weatherby Mark V in 1970, I bought a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9x40 for around $70 or so. Lotsa dead critters; lotsa sub-MOA groups. The scope still works fine on a .223...

Page generated in 0.02149 seconds with 8 queries