View Single Post
Old August 5, 2012, 10:23 PM   #25
FloridaVeteran

Swag's comment reminds me of my PMR-30. I paid close attention to its growing pains and to the company's recommendations about ammo. Using the ammo that they recommend, I have had no problems at all.

It seems logical to me that leading-edge semi-autos are designed for specific bullet-weight/pressure combinations, in order to make the slide function properly relative to the springs and forward-backward motion. In the PMR-30, as I understand it, they had to sort out the physics of cycling a very high-pressure round of small diameter and long cartridge length and do things that no one thought of before. Thanks to their smarts the gun works, whereas 10-20 years ago it might have been thought impossible.

While this particular Ruger is not, to my knowledge, advertised as leading-edge technology in cartridge-handling, it is a challenge to get a lightweight sub-4" barrel pistol to push out >.380 rounds reliably without specifying minimum ammo parameters.

I have owned many Rugers and loved them all - they're like Caterpillar tractors. They handle the most badass cartridges for which they are "calibered." I'd be surprised if the problems noted in this thread are not resolved either by a Ruger mod, since they pay close attention to criticism, or by closer compliance by the guns' owners to recommended ammo (if recommended, which I hope is the case).

Hopefully, before long I will be able to buy a Ruger 1911 without my wife noticing. I'm at critical mass with 1911s, but unfortunately I'm not yet at critical cash.

Page generated in 0.02935 seconds with 8 queries