View Single Post
Old April 6, 2008, 09:24 PM   #9
RoscoeC

I have 3 870's. Two Express, and one Wingmaster. While I often hear of people referring to different ammo clearing this issue, and I have no doubt that it may, that is not the real problem. I have shot thousands of round of ammo of all types, form the cheapest crap I can find, to some high dollar slugs and buckshot. I do not have this problem with any of my guns.

The chamber is the part of the barrel that the shell fits into. It is difficult to clean properly. If you are using a standard cleaning rod and a 12 ga brush to clean the bore of the gun, you are not cleaning the chamber at all. You must remove the barrel from the gun, and use a chamber brush as referenced by Dfariswheel. If you cannot find a chamber brush (it is a puzzlement to me that these are somewhat hard to find), you can wrap the 12 ga brush with 0000 steel wool until it is a snug fit in the chamber. Dampen it with Hoppe's #9, and work it in and out of the chamber with a twisting action. Better still, if you have a battery drill, chuck the last section of your cleaning rod, and move it in and out while rotating the drill slowly.

When cleaning pay particular attention to the indentation at the top of the barrel assembly. That is where the bolt locks. If this is not perfectly clean, the bolt locking lug can stick and also cause this problem. After cleaning the chamber, and the locking bolt recess, I would recommend firing a box of heavy loads, i.e. full power 00 buck or slugs. This will help "seat things in", if you will

As a simple test, fire your gun without touching the forend. The chamber should open. On a very well broken in 870, it will often eject the round just like a semi auto will. If it stays closed, you still have some issues.

Finally, I recommend this excellent description of properly and thoroughly cleaning an 870 from another forum. Cleaning 101.

Hope this helps. At the end of the day, the 870 likes nothing better than being shot. It actually improves the more you shoot and exercise it. I seriously doubt that you can wear it out even with a determined effort.
NRA Life Member

Page generated in 0.03315 seconds with 8 queries