View Single Post
Old May 1, 2012, 08:14 PM   #11
flintlock.50

Quote:
Do you use a bore brush or mop?
I just use patches, no brush.

I started by swabbing the bore with a wet patch to get most of the really black stuff out. Then I poured hot water down the barrel and let it run out the touch hole. When patches still came out dirty, I put the breech in a tub of hot water and pumped water in and out using a patch on a jag. These eventually came out clean… or so I thought. When I used dry patches, they came out a little dirty as shown above.

Then I remembered that I had a bottle of T/C cleaner, so I followed the directions and swabbed the bore with patches saturated with that. They didn't pick up anything and all came out looking pretty good. So I tried the dry patches again, and got the same dirty rings again.

Next I plugged the touch hole again and poured some T/C cleaner down the bore. I covered the muzzle with my thumb and tilted the barrel back and forth to get the cleaner everywhere. Then I let it sit for a while. All the subsequent patches looked OK, not great but OK. So I tried the patch saturated with green Bore Butter. It came out filthy! I ran a few more dry patches through the bore, then another one with Bore Butter, then gave up.

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!

Page generated in 0.02549 seconds with 8 queries