View Single Post
Old May 5, 2013, 09:34 PM   #21
22-rimfire

Most hunters are conservationists, versus environmentalists. Some people don't understand the distinction.

I definitely suggest you take a hunter safety class and you will get to meet others of similar interest. You may also run into people at the range who are members of clubs or have land where you might hunt. These people are a resource.

My suggestion is that you take the hunter safety class and begin to read about hunting. You can learn a lot about deer behavior simply by spending time in the outdoors. Hopefully you will find someone who will help mentor you a bit and get you started. Getting started is the hardest part.

Finding a place to hunt can also be an effort. I would start with the FL fish & game WMA's (wildlife management areas) and start there unless you run into someone who will take you out and help show you the ropes. It's a bit daunting at first.

In TN, many of the WMAs are black powder, shotgun, or archery only. A permit is required and they will usually have a quota of permits that they will issue. So find out when it is the proper time to apply and apply at several different WMAs. This may affect what firearm you might choose to start out with. Black powder rifles tend to cost less than regular centerfire rifles.

Even if you don't hunt, the cost of the license is a donation to a good cause. I keep that in mind every year.

Page generated in 0.01974 seconds with 8 queries