View Single Post
Old February 6, 2009, 08:54 PM   #52
BillCA

Quote:
that was an overstatement.
I think many of us (myself included) tend to think in terms of the ultimate outcome. I know very well that many gunshot victims survive their injuries and recover, with and without permanent disabilities.

The OP's question isn't really about shooting someone. It is actually an excellent question in that he is asking what to do if it turns out shooting is not necessary.

An example given in a training class was where you hear someone inside your home at night and when you peek into the living room, he's sitting on your sofa, with one of your beers, watching the TV. Worse, he is unresponsive to your commands at all.

In such a case, shooting him is not a legitimate action because he poses no immediate threat. Those who would suggest that his mere presence poses a threat have not had to deal with prosecutorial investigations or questioning.

Likewise, a street encounter at 10 feet where your attacker suddenly drops his knife/gun/club but does not flee when given the chance nor obey commands is not an immediate threat. [Though in such a case I'd be tempted to increase the distance between us.]

Page generated in 0.03650 seconds with 8 queries