View Single Post
Old July 30, 2011, 12:39 AM   #125
MikeNice81

Quote:
If you have been reading all the posts you would know that most of these questions have been discussed according to the information provided and then expanded upon by the OP-
You said:
Quote:
I do not plan on getting into a fistfight, I do not want to meet the force. Why would I do that? I have not done anything to instigate, other than in the aggressor's mind.
You made it about you and not the OP. So, don't play the troll game of, "if you had read."

I was listing many of the questions you would have to answer when you decided to shoot instead of "meet the force." Obviously you have it in your mind that defense defaults to gun if somebody threatens you. If you want to do that, fine. Just realize the possible problems you are starting for yourself.

For me, I chose to stay in shape, train, and provide myself with options. For me a gun is the last option and not the first. I've had people threaten to do all kinds of things. More often than not they never followed through. A few tried and found out it was a waste of time. More often than not I just found a way to avoid things.

I learned a long time back that most guys making threats are covering up for their own fear. They are like tea cup pups. They bark real loud hoping you'll back down so they can feel big.

If you have too, grab your kid, get behind the wheel, and go. When you get a safe distance pull over, call the cops, and when they arrive explain everything while filing a report.

Quote:
Regarding your 5th question- I am not obligated to detain someone who is attacking me, regardless of my physical conditioning. That is absurd.
You are not obligated to do anything at all. However, a good old fashion chicken wing untill the cops get there is an option. I did it to a guy that was beating on my cousin. He threatened to kill her and her son. Instead of shooting him dead I wrapped him up and subdued him untill the cops arrived. He didn't have a weapon and there was not a big disparity of force. So, I took a less than lethal approach.

You can also detain with your weapon. It is actually allowed under law in many states. How long and why varies from state to state. If you pull and tell them to stop and they do, it has become a detainment situation unless they run. If they run you should do the same. Get to a safe distance (or place) and call it in.

Again, defense does not default to gun. Threatening language does not always mean the person has the ability to complete the threat. If a 60 year old 5'4" 100lb lady screams, "I'll kill you" and starts smacking you empty handed are you going to shoot her?

I know that is an extreme example, but we must realize that not every threatening person has the ability to follow through or can stop you from escaping.

Oh, and yeah I have had to use a gun for defense three times. I never shot, but each time I was justified and never charged. I've lived through real life experiences. I'm not just discussing hypotheticals. I've been there and been told that what I did was proper. I also work for a police department and get to pick the brains of guys that investigate these things.

I offer advice based on real life. I don't consider myself an expert. I consider myself a guy with enough experience and knowledge that people might want to listen and consider what I say. Otherwise I would lurk and leave these threads alone.

Last edited by MikeNice81; July 30, 2011 at 12:52 AM.

Page generated in 0.03265 seconds with 8 queries