View Single Post
Old April 1, 2011, 09:28 PM   #45
Woodyed

Hi Willy,
Your choice regarding Marlins X7 series rifles is a good one. I not only sell them but I have 3 in my personal collection, a 30-06, 270, and a 7mm-08. They are an accurate shooting rifle with a very smooth action very much like the Tikka's. They also have an excellent adjustable trigger. If you don't like the composite stocks (black and camo), you can buy a Boyds wooden or laminated stock, both of which are beautiful. I can highly recommend the X7 series of rifles.

In regard to a caliber in the X7 series line a 308 is a good choice. I instead would pick the 7mm-08 over the 308 if it were me. I have 2 reasons for saying this and they are that the 7mm-08 has a flater trajectory over longer distances and has less recoil than the 308. If your son is recoil concious then he will appreciate this factor. In fact I would say that the recoil from a 7mm-08 should be about the same as a 30-30. The 7mm-08 bullet also has higher energy retention at the longer ranges.

If you reload for the 7mm-08 I would use Hornady's Interbond 154 gr. bullet, especially if a moose was encountered. I would have no hesitation whatsoever with using this combination on any moose or elk. In fact I'm giving serious consideration on using this load on my next moose hunt.

Have a good day and good luck with your son's rifle.

Last edited by Woodyed; April 1, 2011 at 09:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.02360 seconds with 8 queries