View Single Post
Old April 8, 2010, 07:15 PM   #16
oneounceload

Jim - I forgot about them 410'....

To the questions about mechanical versus inertia:

Mechanical triggers are typically used in guns like a Browning or Beretta where they're selling a 410 or similar built on a 20 gauge frame. Since the recoil from a 410 is light, and even lighter when the gun is on a 20 frame, there isn't as much inertia to reset the second trigger. Benefit? If you pull the trigger and it goes "click" instead of "bang", you can pull the trigger again to fire the other barrel (similar to pulling the trigger on a revolver on a dud first round and it goes to fire the next).

Ruger, the Savage/Fox I own, among others have those triggers. There seems to be some discrepancy about lock time versus inertia triggers (which uses the recoil from the first shot to set the trigger for the next)

Kreighoffs have mechanical, Perazzi has inertia - from what I have gleaned, inertias were a simpler and more reliable way to make a single trigger double barrel shotgun work without doubling - and it has been working very well for about a century. Some will espouse on the crispness of the inertia over the mechanical - supposedly a little less creep - but K guns are noted for having good triggers.

Try them both and see what you like.

From MY personal use - having had a Ruger and currently having a Savage/Fox - mechanical triggers are gritty and have more creep than the inertia guns I own.

YMMV

Page generated in 0.03182 seconds with 8 queries