View Single Post
Old November 7, 2008, 03:45 PM   #1
5RWill

Weatherby vanguard custom rifles.

Looking at getting a cheap 22-250 set up after christmas. Just wanted some opinions on these rifles. I know the vanguards have a good rep of shooting good. But i wonder if it will be Sub MOA since it's custom. They're only about 561$ also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshootermag.com

Over the past decade or so, Weatherby has moved the Vanguard from the back pages of the catalog to the front as it gains more and more popularity among hunters. The reason is obviously cost. As well liked and strong as the Mark V is, it's still about 21/2 times the money than even a deluxe model Vanguard with a semi-fancy wood stock.

Now, in a move that essentially bridges that gap, Weatherby offers custom Vanguards. All are within reach of any average wage earner who likes the feel and quality of a rifle made just for him. The list is quite extensive. For example, synthetic stocks are available in more than a half-dozen patterns including spiderwebbing, colors and airbrushed textures. In wood, the popular laminates are available, as is semi-fancy walnut.

Weatherby's Accubrake--which tames felt recoil by 53 percent--can be ordered in stainless steel, high polish or matte blue. You can choose an 11-degree parabolic target crown or recessed field crown, along with fluted barrels and a choice of metal finishes, including black Teflon.I ordered one with a tan stock in a desert camo motif with black spiderwebbing. The stock is pure Weatherby with a high comb, cast off and Decelerator recoil pad. The synthetic stock is not checkered, but with the spiderwebbing and excellent contours, checkering isn't necessary.

The forged receiver is tapped for scope bases. Weatherby has a light-weight aluminum ring/base combination made for it by Talley.

I mounted a 3.5-10X Leupold Vari-X III scope on my Vanguard. One of my favorites, its low profile and relatively high magnification complement the rifle nicely and maximize its long-range hunting potential.

The action is pillar bedded into the stock, which hugs the contours of the action as if it was poured around it. I wanted a true all-weather gun, and I had the Custom Shop Teflon coat the complete action, including the bolt.

On the bolt face is a typical plunger type ejector and an M16-type extractor. The bolt is fluted to reduce weight and contains three gas ports to vent gases away from the shooter in the unlikely occurrence of a case failure.

The safety is mounted directly behind the knurled bolt knob and handle; in the safe position it locks both the sear and the bolt. Pushing it forward allows the gun to be fired. The adjustable trigger registered exactly three pounds without a hint of slack, so I left it as it came from the factory.

Page generated in 0.02866 seconds with 8 queries