View Single Post
Old June 28, 2007, 10:07 PM   #1
Hedley

Please help me get safe humidity down

I just moved the the south Texas coastal area (near Arroyo City) and need some advice on how to curb humidity in my safe. I never needed more than a single desiccant pack at my previous location in central TX, but the Remington-brand packs I'm currently using need to be revamped every 10 or 12 days. Every rifle is stored in a silicon impregnated sock, and after being in the safe in its new location for about three weeks, I haven't found any signs of damage caused by moisture. But I'm still leary about the humidity.

I'm using the type of packs that have an indicator(changes from blue to pink)to tell you when it's time to bake them dry.
http://www.remington.com/products/ac..._desiccant.asp
It's a little 14 gun safe(and no, I still haven't opened the big Winchester safe), and I currently have 2 of the Remington packs and one old pack of similar size. The safe is in our mechanical room due to lack of space in our current living situation. I don't think it helps that our down-stairs AC evaporator and water heater share the same 5'x4' room, but there really is no other place for it.

I don't have any outlets in that room, so I'd have to wire one in for a plug in style dehumidifier. Any styles that you prefer? Should I go electric or just cram it full of desicant packs? Anybody else live in high humidity areas? What do you use?

Page generated in 0.02626 seconds with 8 queries