View Single Post
Old May 3, 2009, 02:36 PM   #30
OuTcAsT

Quote:
We all have our opinions, so let's not devolve into ad hominems, because of differeces of said opinions.
Quote:
And being a mod gives you the right to toss ad hominems?
I don't believe I have seen an ad hominem against anyone, at least not as defined;

Quote:
Argumentum ad hominem is the logical fallacy of attempting to undermine a speaker's argument by attacking the speaker instead of addressing the argument. The mere presence of a personal attack does not indicate ad hominem: the attack must be used for the purpose of undermining the argument, or otherwise the logical fallacy isn't there. It is not a logical fallacy to attack someone; the fallacy comes from assuming that a personal attack is also necessarily an attack on that person's arguments.

No one is attacking anything except the argument put forth that someone, anyone, on their own property, who happens to be armed when they encounter a direct physical threat, is a "Rambo". Or that using a weapon to defend yourself is some sort of Freaudian expression.

To point out the hypocrisy of the person forwarding the argument is also not classic ad hominem as it directly effects that persons' credibility in the argument.

ETA: I guess the argument could be made that a liquor store owner could also be against drunk driving, but that would not be the same, as the store owner would be for responsible drinking. In this case the owner is for buying the liquor, then keeping it in the cabinet under all circumstances.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -

Last edited by OuTcAsT; May 3, 2009 at 02:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.02323 seconds with 8 queries