View Single Post
Old May 27, 2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Crunchy Frog

You can also find tons on information on the SASS Wire forum; follow the link you were given to the SASS main page and click on SASS Wire.

Assuming your club follows SASS rules, the rifle must be pistol caliber. Looks like you knew that already and I agree with the suggestion to get the revolvers and the rifle in the same chambering.

There are lots of different ways to play the game so buy and use what is the most fun for you. I would second the recommendation to go to matches before buying ANYTHING. Contact the match director and let them know you are interested in getting started.

The most popular caliber now seems to be .38 Special. It is a lot less expensive to shoot than the other calibers. I scrounge a good portion of the brass that I reload; try THAT with .44-40. The bullets are less expensive, too. On the other hand, if you prefer a larger caliber (.45 Colt is pretty popular), go for it.

A friend of mine who started shooting about a year ago bought a pair of the $250 Hombre revolvers off GunBroker. They are a bargain at that price. The Colt "clone" revolvers are a little less rugged than the Rugers but if you break a spring, replace it and keep shooting.

As for rifles, lots of new shooters gravitate to the Rossi 1892s because they are relatively inexpensive but you won't see many top shooters using '92s. They just won't run as quickly and smoothly as the top guns. I saved up for a year to buy a '73. I would not buy a '92; I would save a little more money and look for a good Marlin rifle.

I would try different shotguns. I bought a used 1897 pump; I had a little more experience with pumps than with side-by-sides. If you want a double, you might want to look at a Baikal (imported by EAA). It's actually a little less expensive than a Stoeger coach gun but many cowboys think it's a better gun.

The shotguns need a little action work to run right. Many of the rifles need TLC as well. Most of the revolvers are OK out of the box but some can benefit from a little slicking up.

I've been shooting cowboy for a little over two years. It's a good group of folks to shoot with, very friendly and helpful. I am having a blast.

Page generated in 0.03115 seconds with 8 queries