View Single Post
Old May 12, 2009, 06:36 AM   #24
taylorce1

G36Rick,

Welcome to the forum! You should be fine with the .270 Win for moose in AK. I'm a little worried about your bullet choice though. That is a big heavy and very long bullet the Barnes 160 grain X bullet. The 160 grain X-Bullet might be to long to fit in your rifle without taking up a lot of powder room in the cartridge. Make sure you check your magazine length and measure that bullet to see if you will loose any powder capacity.

From everything I've read on several of these forums is that the Barnes bullets are an excellent choice but they like to be pushed very fast. If they don't hit with enough velocity they may not expand reliably or not at all. They usually recommend to step down two sizes of bullets from the one you would normally use. So if you were going to shoot a Nosler Partition in the 150-160 grain range in Barnes you would use the 130-140 weight range.

I've never used the Barnes bullets so take that FWIW. I've never been let down by the Nosler Partition bullet. They shoot very accurately out of my .270 Win so I've never felt the need to change what works.

Page generated in 0.02756 seconds with 8 queries