View Single Post
Old January 27, 2013, 09:01 PM   #1
deerslayer303

How I check timing

I just wanted to throw this on here, maybe it will help someone. When I get a new revolver, or any new to me revolver. I'll take a wad and shove it all the way to the bottom of the chambers with a wooden dowel. The wad is light colored and reflects light so you can see it. Then at the business end of the pistol with a bore light I look down the barrel and pull the hammer back, I then make sure that I can see ALL of the wad, if it looks like different "PHASES" of the moon, you have a problem. It SHOULD look like a FULL MOON in there I rotate the cylinder ALL the way around and check all 6 or 5 chambers, and sometimes I do it twice. Don't pull the trigger and let the hammer fall, lower it manually. To get the wad back out I just use a 3.5" wood screw and screw into the wad a little and pull it out. This should go without saying, but MAKE SURE THE REVOLVER IS NOT LOADED FIRST. This is basic info. But we are getting popular now days, and I'm just trying to give something back to a forum who has given so much to me. If timing is off a TON this method is NOT needed. But I had a .22 revolver once that was off a tad and everytime i fired it I felt stuff, so after checking the timing on it, the cylinder was just slightly off from the forcing cone. HAPPY SHOOTIN!!!

Page generated in 0.02877 seconds with 8 queries