View Single Post
Old September 15, 2005, 10:35 AM   #55
Ben Swenson

Quote:
I am also aware that slob hunters are increasing annually, and that the sport of hunting is becoming or has already become, a poor shadow of it's former self.
I don't buy this for a second, but I bet an old hunter (or someone who wants to be an old hunter) has said the same thing for the past few thousand years. "Why back in my day, we did things the traditional way and chipped our arrowheads out of flint, not dented it out of this newfangled bronze stuff. Every year there are more slob hunters." As fisherman pointed out, hunting's history isn't the romantic ideal where fifty or a hundred years ago everyone did everything ethically and followed your ideas of fair chase and were such cuddly good hunters. There have always been bad hunters and there will always be bad hunters. There have always been the traditionalists (whose opinion on what is traditional varies and will continue to change) and the people who want to try the newfangled gadgets.

You wouldn't be taking your precision rifle into the field if it weren't for some "slob hunter" in the years past "blastin' around with that godawful loud rifle that throws a tiny little pellet when he should be usin' what I'm usin'".

By the way, you keep making a big deal about the number of pictures. As someone who has built several trail-cameras (as I said, I've never used one where I hunt so there's no need to saddle up your high horse) I'd bet that most of those 4600 or however many pictures were taken for the pure pleasure of seeing the deer (and other critters) and showing them off to friends. I don't get the idea this whole setup was just to kill them, but to study them and learn about them and see them when they're alone. Just like when I go hunting it isn't all about slaughtering the first deer I see. I like to watch them, study them and darn it if I had 4600 pictures to look through after a hunt, I'd be pretty happy about it.

Placing trail-cameras isn't just hanging them on every tree you pass, either. You've got to find where the deer are running or sleeping, hang it so that it is facing the right direction, positoin the motion detector. In short, you've got to know an awful lot about them to start out with.

Page generated in 0.03294 seconds with 8 queries