View Single Post
Old April 11, 2010, 04:54 PM   #26
Crosshair

Quote:
I think you are generalizing too much here. This is true of the 77gr SMK; but the Hornady 75gr TAP typically yaws and upsets in less than an inch of ballistics gel. The larger mass of these rounds not only means a lbigger maximum cavity; but keeping the cavity bigger over more of the path of the bullet.
You're right, I was focusing on the SMK and forgot about the Hornady load. My bad.

Quote:
Actually, the newer hollowpoints like the 55gr and 62gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (LE223T1 and LE223T3 above), the 62gr SOST, and the 70gr Barnes TSX all outperform OTMs through windshield and other intermediate barriers.
Interesting. This area of ammo market keeps changing so fast it is hard to keep up sometimes.

Quote:
However, something like the Hornady 75gr TAP looks to me about perfect for a home defense round. You have a large cavity that starts at 0.5" and continues to about 7" while the core of the round penetrates to about 13". It isn't the best round through barriers or say a chest rig of AK mags; but for home defense it seems to do a nice job of combining big cavity and adequate penetration without being too aggressive on penetrating barriers.
Yea, the TAP does seem to fragment well, of course that's because it doesn't have to comply with the Hauge rules like the SMK does. The only think I wish they would do is drop the gimmick of the nickel cases or at least offer it in regular brass cases. Most of us aren't storing our ammo in an irrigation ditch and don't need the additional cost of nickel cases.

Page generated in 0.03331 seconds with 8 queries