Thread: 110 gr .308
View Single Post
Old June 16, 2000, 04:34 PM   #7
Robert the41MagFan

Think the DOC's got it right. Both Remington and Browning have a 1-12" twist, so they may be suffering from the same problem when it comes to 110gr bullets. Lack of twist to stabilize the bullet at the higher muzzle speed. Don't know if that is even correct or not, but from trial and error that is what I think is wrong. Just so happens when I tried the 110 grains bullets (Hornady SP110), had a friend with me and his Savage 12BVSS. The Savage was consistently shooting tighter groups. Just so happens that the Savage also has a 1-10" twist. I know there can be many factors involved here (powder, AOL, bullet), but the twist seems to be the most obvious. Also, if you look at our manuals for adjusting the BOSS, there are no starting points for bullets under 150 grain.

When I say the groups were not that great, I'm talking just over a inch at 100 yards. Think that the best group was 1 1/4 inches. Another thing that could be attributing to lack of grouping was the AOL. My A-Bolt loves long bullets, 2.790-2.800 inches. Those 110's were at 2.680", if my memory is correct.

Robert

Page generated in 0.04010 seconds with 8 queries