View Single Post
Old August 11, 2005, 10:54 PM   #27
Leftoverdj

Quote:
Safety first? Make sure you grabbed the right dipper? Make sure you grabbed the right powder? To verify there isnt a typo on the chart of how much powder each dipper throws? To make sure your dipper is actually the size it says it is? To make sure you are not "packing" small ball powder in as tight as it will fit? Because my load book tells me to always verify my powder charge every so often? I check it cuz it's easy to do and a scale is less than an ambulence ride... I dont check every charge, because I believe in voilumetric metering. But I do check every 10th or 20th charge or so.
You can do all that if you wanna, but you should not be claiming that it is necessary, or even that it is a safety measure. I wanna check that I have the right dipper, I look at the handle. Lee number was molded in when the dipper was made so it can't be wrong. If I had doubts, I could check it just as well with a graduate cylinder as a scale. If I wanna check the powder, I look at the can. Scale is only gonna tell you that you have the wrong powder when you check the scale against the volume. The Lee slide chart has been in use over 20 years and there ain't no typos in it. That's more than I can say for loading manuals. Already posted how I use dippers, and there ain't no chance of packing.

A fixed dipper ain't gonna change. Volume is gonna be exactly the same on first dip and the ten thousandth. I check adjustable measures because the adjustment can move. Can't change with fixed dipper, a Lee disk or a Li'l Dandy rotor. They are what they are. Dump the first few charges after you fill the hopper of the AutoDisk or the L'il Dandy and you are gonna get what you expect to get.

I got nothing against scales. They are very useful tools. They just ain't essential for all uses.

Page generated in 0.02555 seconds with 8 queries