View Single Post
Old November 30, 2001, 11:36 PM   #1
ATeaM

New .22 that won't shoot straight

My Taurus 62 sucks !!!

overpriced piece of crap

This is a pump action copy of the old Winchester 62. The Taurus site brags about how accurate this gun is, and considering how much it costs, it should be.

I've owned this gun for over a year. In that time I've run about 700 rounds through it of various manufacture. None of them can group tighter than 6 inches at 7 yards. At 15 yards I'm lucky if I hit the paper. Part of the problem is the sites are horribly off, the other part I can't quite figure out .

I never bothered to clean the barrel, mainly because none of the gun stores stocked a .22 brush and rod suitable for the task (why, is beyond me). Fellow shooters reassured me that a .22 doesn't need to be cleaned regularly and that it should be just fine. Well, the accuracy was so horrible I decided I had to clean it just to see if it made a difference.

Well it did, now the accuracy is worse.

When I broke down the gun I noticed there was some sort of white buildup in the barrel, kinda looked like dried toothpaste. After scrubbing that, and the lead buildup out of the barrel, I encountered something I have never seen before, rings in the barrel.

Rings ? Is that normal?

By rings I mean that...well take a look and I'll explain

Imagine this is the barrel

--------------------------------------
-/---/---/---/---/---/---/---/---/---
--------------------------------------

Perpendicular to the regular rifling, there was a pattern of rings that occured every half inch or so. The rings were about as long as a .22 bullet and looked like lead build up. but were not.

What could have caused this ? Is this normal ? Would that be affecting accuracy ?

Page generated in 0.02544 seconds with 8 queries