View Single Post
Old April 14, 2011, 04:44 PM   #55
MLeake

Alaska444....

... lest this get personal, be assured I'm not trying to get you into a measuring contest. Nor do I disagree with most of what you've written. Please note, though, that in my first post I immediately hit the caveat of "wasn't there, don't know what the OP's friend saw or heard that didn't get translated into this thread, etc, so I can't say."

So, with regard to the OP's question, not enough info.

Please also note, I recommended evasion when possible threats are at longer ranges. We agree there.

As far as my knife-armed punks, or club-wielding punks, whatever you like... I won't wait to see a weapon, if enough other evidence convinces me there is one.

For that matter, if I were with my lady, and perceived two guys as threats, they don't need to have a weapon. There are too many ways things can go south for her, if I get disabled in such a scenario. If they make me think they are a threat for her.... Put it another way, I don't go looking for fist-fights, I don't engage in mutual combat (off the mat), and I don't hang with people who do. Strong-arm robbery is one of the forcible felonies that justify SD where I live; so is attempted rape or sexual assault. Neither requires that the BG have a weapon, let alone display one.

Now, do I get freaked out every time somebody might be following me? No, but do I cross the street? Or enter an open business? Or do other things to see if they are actually following? You betcha. Or, if I don't like the vibe I'm getting from somebody I can't realistically avoid, I'll make neutral eye contact and go into relaxed-ready body language. That often seems to convince folks to yield a bit more space, without anything needing to really be said or done.

But there are some ways in which people could act that would raise my hackles. I tend to trust both my instincts and my judgement, and I could envision a scenario where I might draw, or at least prepare to draw, in a variation of what the OP described.

Again, there's not enough information to judge, based on the fact that the OP is not the person who had the encounter, and probably has not communicated all the signals that person was processing at the time.

Page generated in 0.03808 seconds with 8 queries