View Single Post
Old February 9, 1999, 02:49 PM   #4
Walt Welch

GrayFox; I think something is wrong here. Actually, the gun I used for Bullseye shooting WAS a .357 S&W model 28. There is some concern about the longer bullet travel in the cylinder adversely affecting accuracy, but I never had problems with any of my .357's that I could attribute to the longer cylinder.

I suspect that there is some mechanical problem with your gun. However, I think that the first thing you should is buy some factory wadcutters, in two or three brands, and fire these. If you suddenly find great accuracy, then it is an ammo problem.

There are two things which often are culpable and adversely affect accuracy in a revolver. One is the shape of the forcing cone. S&W's are often rough, and cut at too steep an angle. A gunsmith can easily correct this. Another thing is that there is sometimes a tight spot (decreased diameter) in the bbl. where it screws into the frame. Lapping will fix this. One more thing which occurs to me is that a cylinder/bbl. misalignment can also degrade accuracy. That is why Freedom Arms bores the cylinder holes after fitting the cylinder to the gun, one reason for their incredible accuracy.

So, try different types of factory ammo. If this doesn't work, get thee to a good gunsmith. Walt

Page generated in 0.03273 seconds with 8 queries