View Single Post
Old April 26, 2010, 06:19 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

Coupla things

The original mag went to J. Oliver Goodrich in Penn Yan, New York, a very picturesque park of the states. I could only find one reference to an Oliver Goodrich in that part of the state but it was Mrs. Goodrich and it was 1914. The issue is 1940.

Note the position of the strap on the shooter's rifle. It looks like the observing soldier does not have a strap on his rifle. The shooter appears to be in dress while everyone else is in a working uniform. Check out those fancy loops on the shooter's jacket.

The observer is resting his rifle butt on his left foot.

The shooter looks like John Lennon (In an earlier life?)

Every American Rifleman I have received over the last year has had a photo of a weapon on the front cover. These photos look disturbingly like paid advertisements. This cover from 1940 portrays a valuable historical record of a shooting encounter. In 1940 we were coming out of a depression and anticipating (at least those who had any sense were anticipating) having to go to war in Europe. A photo depicting military marksmanship training would have been popular at that time regardless of the vintage of the photo.

My next door neighbor is a Navy Seal. I bet he has some unclas photos for American Rifleman.

Page generated in 0.03604 seconds with 8 queries