View Single Post
Old December 15, 2010, 02:25 AM   #43
HiBC

OK,I have no stake in this,just read it over.OP,please re read your own last post
Do you pick up a certain stress,tension,frustration,emotion?
It is because you are too close.Its your wife.In matters such as learning to paddle a canoe tandem,drive,shoot,no disrespect intended,but ego and relationship and tone of voice and how the bacon was cooked 2 months ago can lead to not talking at the breakfast table and then shooting is not so fun any more.
Let me ask you this.As you coach her,are you looking at the target?You must be,as you see her hit the dirt.no disrespect to you,I am glad you are learning to shoot!A coach who is looking down range does not know how to coach shooting.I hope you want her to have a good coach.
If there is a local bullseye range that has firearms training,or if the game warden will give you the name of the person who trains him,etc,,
I taught my daughter to shoot a .22 rifle,her rifle.I taught her some about driving,coached her learners permit time,but we had her take a paid drivers ed class.
But whe she came of age,and was on her own,I checked with the Division of wildlife armorer,shooting coach.A retired veteran,LEO,and a quiet,kind,good man I respect.i asked about one on one training.
I approached my daughter,explained I would pay for the training and buy the handgun if she would take the training.The training was pre=requisite,and I declined to train.She did not prioritize it,so it was not done.
I suggest you get a nice 22.Very cheap to shoot a lot.Shooting a lot badly won't help.You are training unconcious things.You train shooting good shots.Bad shots have to be untrained and re trained.Noise and recoil make and cover up bad habits.Even a replica pellet gun at 15 ft may be good.
Here is a parallel.Learning to roll a kayak.Your unconcious self says hanging upside down in a boat with water running up your nose is unacceptable.This must be overcome to smoothly and powerfully grab the surface of the water and roll up.Holding a loud,kicking gun in your hand is the same.the reflexes jump.The eyes close.Anticipating recoil,the muzzle goes down.
But no spouse wants to hear from their other half criticism.And that is what coaching,especially from a frustrated,not so competent coach amounts to in a spouse.
I couod tell you grip,natural point of aim,breathing,sight alignment,trigger control,focus,calling the shot ,etc,but you have somethng else to overcome.
i highly suggest you go back to pax's post.Go to her site,follow her links,search "all posts by pax" and get an idea of who just took the time to give you an honest,respectful response.
For what it is worth,I'm a mediocre to OK handgun shot.Nothing special.So is my former spouse.
When we were shooting 25 yd pistol indoor leagues,we shot with some good shots.Old guys who shot at camp Perry.Kirkpatrick was a kind old guy,true gentleman,interested in my old High Standard GD.Coke bottle glasses,a little tremor in his hands.I recall a slow,rapid,timed 30 round string of his that scored 297 of 300 pts with a lot of "X"'s.Those guys were good.
I was averaging in the 270 something range and my ex was a 238 avg.The last shootoff we were in,we took 7 of 28 trophies.
Get a 25 yd smallbore handgun NRA target and see what that is.
Experienced folks here,when you ask for advise,give you honest answers.
You ever see "The Magnificent Seven"? The kid,and Yul Brynner,in the bar? Clap hands? pax likely has hair,but I'd give her Yul Brynner respect,myself.

Page generated in 0.03801 seconds with 8 queries