View Single Post
Old February 20, 2009, 04:19 PM   #107
BillCA

This really isn't rocket science.

We've all seen articles in "The Armed Citizen" were an intruder is detained at gunpoint by some citizen, sometimes even senior citizens. If grandma can do it, so can you. It's simply a matter of being alert and being prepared to take command of the situation.

As I see it, taking command of the situation requires;
1. That he acquiesces to your commands
2. You issue clear, concise and firm commands.
3. His desire to escape is outweighed by his safety concerns.
4. He does not perceive reluctance, hesitance or confusion on your part. (i.e. weakness, indecision, unwilling to shoot)

If he obeys your commands, that's a good first start. If he fails to obey your commands it may be for any of the reasons in 2, 3 or 4; or he may just be a whackjob.

Your commands must be unambigious. Clearly say what you want him to do, say it without embellishments and say it in a tone that indicates you expect compliance.
"Don't move!" is preferred to "Stay where you are, I have a gun on you!"

If his desire to escape is high enough, he'll do anything to get away. Including charging an armed homeowner. Never put yourself between him and an exit. If he bolts for a nearby exit (you won't lose sight of him) then let him go. Why?
a) Hitting a moving target is much harder, esp. in the dark.
b) If he leaves, the threat diminishes. Problem solved.
c) If he's that desperate, he may be desperate enough to hurt you or kill you to escape.

Thugs like to prey on the weak, not the strong. They are often adept at spotting weakness -- reluctance, hesitation, confusion - in their victims. If you display these characteristics, he may think he can take you. Especially if he can do something unusual and take advantage of your hesitation while he acts.

In the early 80's we watched a chilling training film. It was survelliance film of two prisoners "practicing" in their cell. Like Glenn's FOF (Force on Force) training scenarios. One prisoner played the "citizen" and the other the thug. Thug had his hands up but talked to the citizen thusly:
BG: Whoa man! I thought this was Jimmy's pad!
GG: You just stay right there. I'm calling the cops.
BG: (sotto voice: Watch my feet) "Look, I got the wrong place, man. I'm sorry, just let me leave, ok? Whaddya say?" [shifts weight and slides one foot forward half step]
GG: No. Stay there. I'm calling the cops.
BG: Look, man. If you shoot me (sotto: watch the feet) the cops will arrest you as well as me. You don't want that, do you? [Shifts weight and moves other foot half-step forward]
GG: Ah, no. Just stay there. [emulates reaching for phone]
BG: Wait, man! [moves other foot forward] You shoot me and a lawyer will cost you ten grand easy. [moves other foot] If you just let me go, we're all happy, right?
GG: (holding phone) Uh, no, I ... [BG lunges]

Analysis: The BG starts off with a "plausible" explanation - he mistook your place for someone else's. Never mind that he came in through a window or jiggered the back door.

He senses weakness in the victim who doesn't really take firm control. He also knows the cops are NOT yet enroute. Two points to his advantage. So he now does three things - talks back to the victim who patiently listens and while he's distracted, moves a foot forward, testing his awareness while closing the distance between them. Lastly he asks a question to further distract the victim.

He then tries to invoke doubt by telling the victim that cops will also arrest him (the victim) if the victim shoots him. This causes the victim to doubt his actions or internally debate if he's doing the right thing. Note the question a the end again. Meanwhile he's creeping closer.

Seeing more weakness and inattention to his movements he presses the issue, trying to seed doubt (and financial worry) in the victim while moving close enough that he can jump the victim while distracted by the talk.

Once you have an intruder at gunpoint, your job is to take control. Command (not ask) him to get on the ground. Command him to not look in your direction. Command him that he is not to talk. If he fails to comply and you see that his feet move to get closer or prepare to lunge your reaction should be clear and immediate.

It's common for someone caught to plead for you not to shoot. But your firm commands (repeated rapidly) leave him little time to keep talking. You want him on the ground with his hands visible. The only thing you care about is his compliance. Once he's on the ground, tell him no talking allowed. When he's immobilized call the cops and wait for their arrival.

Page generated in 0.02984 seconds with 8 queries