View Single Post
Old October 31, 2008, 06:42 AM   #1
omkhan

Home Invasion Story

Ok, this happened some 5-6 years back at my home. I was a student in university at that time. So one night I went to sleep at 3:30 AM after surfing net & chatting etc. Around 4:30, I was awaken by my mom who told me in a panicked voice that some one was in the home. I jumped off the bed and went to investigate.

Let me give u the idea of my that single story house. It was on a 230sq. yards with a side & front un covered area. rest was the covered area. The front consisted of the car porch, stairs to the roof & veranda. The window of my parents bedroom opens in the porch & door & window of the Drawing room in the veranda. Since the veranda was well lit, I could see some shadows moving from the breech of the door. I was never into such a situation & my head started spinning. My dad was out of city & I was with my mom & 2 younger sisters.

Anyway, I went to mom's room & tried to see from the window. I didnt have the view because of angle but the window glasses gave me enough reflection of two guys trying to break in through the drawing room window. My head started to spin faster, I just didnt know what to do. I didnt even have a firearm @ that time. Suddenly, it occured to me to use my car's anti burglary siren. I rushed to pick up the remote, came back & hit the panic button. The siren went off & the 2 BGs just dashed towards the 7 ft. wall & crossed it over. A 3rd BG , abt which I wasn't aware of until then, was on the roof & he too ran away.

In the heat of all this, It didnt occur to any of us to use the telephone or cell. So after it I tried to make a call to police & my uncles but the line was dead. so used the mobile phone & informed the concerns. Police came, inspected what the BGs were doing near the DR's window & it appeared that the iron grill was just one screw away & was literally hanging on it. Means, If I have waited for the cops to arrive or relied only on them, they would have been inside well before the police could show up. Here the response time could be anywhere from 15 mins to indefinitely :P The 3rd BG on the roof had the telephone line cut. I can just thank God for it because it was very very lucky for us to thwart this invasion. btw, this would have their (BGs) 2nd robbery in the street since a house was looted on gun point just 3 days ago same time most probably by the same goons.

I now own a 9 mm & a 12 GA but I m still not sure what would be my response if God forbid something like that happens again. , Will I be able to use the gun properly, how abt trembling hands & so many other factors. I just can't describe the situation & I bet that I wasn't in my complete senses.
I really believe it was for my mom as it was her prayer time & she has a habit to check out doors & windows whenever she gets up & had she been a little late in that, things would have gone differently. The trend shows most home invaders r too trigger happy & violent. Some r reported to be polite enough but how would u know?.

Sorry for the long post but I really wanted to share it with u guys. Comments, critics, & ur would be response in such situation r welcome.

Page generated in 0.03350 seconds with 8 queries