View Single Post
Old May 11, 2015, 04:35 PM   #16
Sevens

You didn't go in to detail about what you saw, but I would suggest that you may have jumped to the wrong conclusion. While I will also NOT allow a thrown charge variance of three-tenths of a grain, it's not at all likely that a perfect load at X charge weight will then show a piece of ejected brass that is "obviously seriously overpressurized" with visual signs on the brass at X+0.3 grains of powder.

Especially with .40 S&W, my first suspicion would be unintended and completely unnoticed bullet setback.

Looks great when you seat the slug, in the ammo box and even in the magazine, but a rough feeding cycle slams the bullet deeper in to the cartridge case inside a pistol that's in full battery-- the shooter would never be able to see it before firing and only witness evidence of it after discharge.

It has long been my theory that this is a large part of the source of .40cal's reputation in this regard. High pressure cartridge, small space to operate, case mouth tension/bullet pull becomes CRITICAL.

Page generated in 0.02355 seconds with 8 queries