View Single Post
Old May 6, 2015, 06:24 PM   #11
JeepHammer

I started with a hand press, no bench mounting.

Then I got a Lee 'C' (open side) bench mount, one die at a time.

My next press was an RCBS Rock Chucker when I got into bench shooting,
Ultra accurate rounds from a Rock Chucker.
One die at a time makes it slow.

Competition rimmed wheel gun rounds were just too slow,
I got a Lee Turret press, 3 stations in the turret, and I still use it for small batches to this day.
It's what they call a 'Classic' Turret Press now, mines been running for 30 years with no issues at all.
Caliber changes take about 30 seconds.
Changing from one die to another is a flick of the wrist, and your dies are always set up after you adjust them once.
Can't really recommend it higher! No plastic parts that give up, no complicated parts to adjust, uses common dies and shell holders, works exactly as advertised, maybe better.

When the Lee Progressive came along, a buddy got one,
Spent a month trying to get it set up correctly and waiting on parts that have up right away.
Plastic parts will always be a weak link...
It was a pain in the butt I finally gave up on.

I finally decided to make the jump to a progressive,
About two years ago I got a Dillion XL650.
Good thing I'm a machinest and parts designer by trade or this thing would have made me beat it with a hammer...
Half the press has been redesigned or tinkered with in some way,
And it took two weeks to get it running for reasonable match quality rounds.
Caliber changes take close to an hour by the time you tear it down, change shell plates, feed ramps, bushings, swap cams around, pull the primer feeder down to loose parts and swap everything, then get it tuned to run the new caliber...

In my spare time I'm working on a CNC produced aluminum version of a couple critical parts that are plastic on the Dillon
I made a point of buying a spare parts kit, but I still don't trust plastic parts.

Page generated in 0.03452 seconds with 8 queries