View Single Post
Old May 5, 2015, 09:14 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Yes, sort of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfxcasey
I was thinking about getting a Lee Classic Turret press which to my understanding can also be used in single stage mode. My question is can I do the same with this press {the Lee Loadmaster progressive press-for the link, see the Original Post}
With respect to G.Willikers (who knows a LOT and is right on this one, too, sort of):

You CAN use any progressive as a single stage. You remove all but one of the dies and run your batch of cases through the press and they will be processed by that one die (riding around the shell plate, rotating under the empty stations). Then you (just as you do with a single stage) swap to the next die and run your batch of cases through the press. Repeat with all the dies and you are done.

There are other drawbacks than the obvious one of being slower than continuous processing (which the progressive is designed for and turrets-particularly the auto-advancing turrets offered by Lee, but other makers' manual-advance turrets can do it, too).

The press ram is not aligned under the die. This off-axis alignment (depending on how stiff and strong the press is and how much force is required to process the cartridge in any particular die) can give rise to some eccentricity (or runout) in the finished cartridge.

There may be a bit of increased wear on the ram (also due to the off-axis forces), but I suspect this to be minimal.

There may be other drawbacks but I cannot think of them at the moment.

In many threads, I have seen testimony of people who recommend using progressive presses (and turret presses) in single stage (batch processing) during one's learning to load. So, I infer that it is not an uncommon practice. I never felt the need. When I picked up progressive presses, I just slowed my speed, checked each station in turn after each stroke and after each and every station passed muster, made another stroke of the ram.

Having said that, let me tell you that I traded off my Lee Pro-1000 presses for a Lee Classic Turret. I am much more relaxed after a loading session now. Caliber swaps are a matter of seconds and I achieved a production rate of 100 rounds in 47 minutes my first time out (and that included replenishing the primers, powder bullets and brass as well as boxing and labelling the finished product).

To my mind, your choice depends largely on your 1) quantity of ammunition required and 2) number of different chamberings you will be loading 3) how much space you will devote to your loading bench, 4) if you will leave it set up pernamently or put it away after loading sessions and 5) how much you want to (or can) spend.

Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02977 seconds with 8 queries