View Single Post
Old June 6, 2010, 12:13 AM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
what's the rationale behind concealing
If you mean what are the advantages and disadvantages of concealing, then that is a "Tactics" question, not a "Law & Civil Rights" question.

If you mean why did the law require that the gun be concealed then the answer is that it required it because it is a concealed handgun law.
Quote:
If someone catches a glimpse by accident, is it like, "Aw crap, game over, gotta go put my piece in the glove compartment"?
No. Your gun must be concealed from normal observation but if it is accidentally exposed it shouldn't be a problem.

On the other hand, if it seems to get "accidentally exposed" a lot then you could find yourself in trouble.
Quote:
Can I tell someone I'm carrying?
There is no law requiring that you keep the fact that you have a CHL or that you are carrying confidential.

On the other hand, if you go around telling everyone you meet that you are carrying a gun then you will probably get some decidedly negative responses and results.
Quote:
Is it specifically a response to anti-open carry people?
No, it has nothing to do with open carry. It was specifically a response to the concealed carry laws that were successful in other states.
Quote:
Specifically in response to anti-gun people.
If you have some evidence for this I would be interested to see it. I followed the entire process of the passage of the TX CHL laws very closely and with a considerable amount of interest. I do not remember open carry coming up at all. The law was modeled after other successful concealed carry laws passed in other states.

Page generated in 0.03267 seconds with 8 queries