View Single Post
Old May 24, 2011, 09:02 PM   #18
taylorce1

I’ve finally got some time to sit down and write a very short hunting report. I had a great time in SE Alaska just like I always do but the hunt didn’t go to plan. We really didn’t see any bears, we did see one about a mile off but on foot trying to catch up with a moving bear was tough and we just couldn’t do it.

My buddy did manage to fill his wolf tag though. We were walking single file along the channel from where we docked the boat to go fishing. Of course we weren’t going anywhere without taking our rifles so we had them both slung across our back.

My buddy was rounding a slight curve where he and the wolf spotted each other at the same time. I guess she turned around and trotted out of sight, I just saw my buddy throwing fishing poles and tackle boxes aside. He about strangled himself trying to get the sling over his head, but he managed it.

He said his first shot was at about 50 yards, he whistled at her and got the wolf to turn which gave him a quartering shot. He hit her a little far back in the ribs and the bullet exited her guts on the off side. He said she jumped in the water and was spinning around and biting at the wound, so he racked two more shots in quick succession. The second shot hit in a hind leg breaking it and the third hit in the neck.

I’ve decided a 200 grain Accubond out of a .325 WSM is a little more bullet than a wolf needs.

So the bear hunting wasn’t great, but we had some sunny days with great weather. Spent some time with good friends and wished I could have stayed longer than 5 days. Guess they don’t call it hunting for nothing.

Quote:
Actually those announcements don't make the print version, since they come out before the need for season extensions. As long as there was an online notice, it's all good right? We just like to make sure everyone abides by the rules.
I agree! Hope you have a great season up there.

Page generated in 0.03000 seconds with 8 queries