Thread: Anybody else...
View Single Post
Old September 7, 2004, 04:16 PM   #8
trapperready

BTW, although I generally prefer to hunt with classic (or "vintage") firearms, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate their modern variants. What I neglected to mention about dove-hunting above was that it rained quite hard off and on while I was hunting on Monday morning.

The nice thing about the Benelli was that (A) I didn't feel bad about leaving it wet and cased in the trunk of the car until later in the evening and (B) it took me all of about 5 minutes to clean it completely. Older guns are usually easy to get mostly clean, but to really do a good job often takes some tools, some time and an uncluttered well-lit area (to help you spot all the bits and pieces which can fly away).

If you want to talk nostalgia... when I was a kid, my dad had two shotguns. One is a beautiful 1922-vintage Model 12 12ga, still in incredible shape. Although it is collectible, I often use it for pheasant hunting and the occasional round of trap or SC. The other shotgun he had was a pitted old Sears 12ga bolt-action. It was horrible, and when I was short for rent-money in college, I sold it. God help me, but if I ever run across one, I'll buy it on the spot.

Page generated in 0.03248 seconds with 8 queries