View Single Post
Old February 8, 2000, 04:45 PM   #13
scyman

i would also recommend brazilian jiu jitsu (if you can find a qualified teacher in your area) as well as muay thai. i primarily train bjj, and started out training muay thai. i've dabbled in jeet kune do, but found the trapping rather unrealistic (i don't posess the same talents as bruce himself) and feel only few people can really pull it off in a real fight situation against someone who knows what they're doing. i wouldn't really include the trapping distance as a fighting distance, since you rarely find youself in that position for much longer than a split second. if a guy is that close to you, it most likely means he trying for a clinch, which he'll most likely get if you're trying to trap. i'm very biased towards brazilian jiu jitsu since it's such a unique art, as it allows people of ALL body types to easily learn it and use it effectively. it's a proven system in the streets, as it was primarily designed for the real street fight situation, but you have to remember it's probably not as practical when fighting several other people at the same time, or fighting against an opponent who has a weapon. it's also one of the best workouts you can get since you must use every muscle in your body, EVERY muscle! plus, you'll just fall in love with it once you start training, it eventually becomes an integral part of your life. what i do like about jkd is the eye gouges, which could save you from a dangerous situation if you pull it off. good luck, by starting any martial art, when you find a good school, your quality of life will improve regardless of the style!

Page generated in 0.02147 seconds with 8 queries