View Single Post
Old October 17, 2012, 01:20 PM   #8
BigJimP

For most of us ....we reload a much higher quality round than you can buy at WalMart..../ because our presses, even though progressive and relatively quick ( say 800 rds an hour off a good press ) ....we can hold tighter tolerances than a large factory operation. I found early on - my groups were at least 25% tighter using my reloads ...than even the best factory ammo...in any caliber....

I reload 9mm and .40S&W using a premium jacketed bullet...from Montana Gold....and you can do it cheaper with electro-plated bullets or lead bullets...but most indoor ranges in my area insist on jacketed bullets to reduce the smoke inside / and I like the accuracy of jacketed bullets.

9mm using 115gr FMJ bullet my cost is $5.88 for a box of 50 -- or $11.76 per 100 ...or $ 0.1176 per cartridge.

.40S&W 180gr FMJ bullet my cost is $8.48 for a box of 50 -- $ 16.96 per box of 100 ...or $ 0.1696 per cartridge.
------------
In my area 9mm 115gr jacketed ammo ...retail is $11 - $12 / box of 50 ...or
$ 22 - $24 for a box of 100....

In my area .40S&W 180gr jacketed ammo ...retail is about $ 20 for a box of 50 ....
---------------------
So in both cases, you can save a lot of money reloading both calibers ..or shoot 2 or 3 times as much with the same ammo budget.

But for most of us, its not the cost savings that attracts us to this part of the hobby / its that we can customize our ammo to what we want for each of our guns.

For metallic reloading ...personally I like Dillon equipment / specifically the 650 model suits me the best. But for both 9mm and .40S&W ...you can load both cases until they crack - or until you lose the case at the range....now reloading .40S&W - its a pretty high pressure case...so you do need to be careful, and very precise, with your procedures - pick the right powder, etc. 9mm is where you should start ...its very easy ...( process is the same with .40S&W --- but you don't have the margin for error that you have in a 9mm). I prefer Hodgdon powders....and in both of these calibers I use Hodgdon Universal powder --- CCI primers --and Montana Gold bullets.

Page generated in 0.03210 seconds with 8 queries