Thread: 45/70 for bears
View Single Post
Old December 18, 2015, 12:44 AM   #36
Wyosmith

I live in Wyoming where we have a LOT of grizzlies. So "bear guns" are a topic of discussion in many a gun shop around this state.

There are 2 schools of thought, both are valid.

#1. A gun for defense against a grizzly in camp or around the ranch.

These fall into the category of "lots of power at close range".
12 gauge shotguns with slugs, 45-70s 458 Socom's 50 Beowulf's 416s and some 458s In this category you also find the heavy caliber handguns. The idea is to have something that is powerful, short and handy and close by, if not on your person.

#2 is the "bear gun" that you carry when hunting for elk deer or moose. It's a gun used 99.9% of the time as your primary hunting tool, but is powerful enough to cover the bases if called on to shoot a "fuzzy-nasty" at spitting distance. These are the 300 magnums, 338's 35 Whelen's and 375H&H's and so on.

When I am hunting in areas that have a lot of grizzlies I usually have a powerful rifle in my 375H&H, 9.3X74R or my 62 cal flintlock, but I also carry a 454 Casull or a 44 mag.

That doesn't make me right and another man wrong, but these are just what I use.
I have killed many game animals and a few domestic ones too with all these guns and I feel 100% confident they would all be fine if I can get the shot. If you don't get a shot then it really doesn't matter what gun you didn't get it with.

Page generated in 0.03506 seconds with 8 queries