View Single Post
Old September 9, 2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Jim Watson

The few places I have shot F-T/R, if they have a 1000 yard range, they SHOOT 1000 yards. One range near here will shoot midrange if they cannot arrange to close the road between the 1000 and 600 yard lines, but not otherwise.

Most shooters I know use an elevated base even if their scope claims to have enough adjustment to reach 1000 yards. They want to stay near the middle of the adjustment range for better optical and mechanical performance. This may mean that they can't go DOWN far enough to plink at 100 yards but they don't much care. A friend is getting a base tweaked so it will allow him to zero at 200 yards with about a minute to spare for quickie tests but the main purpose is 500 yards and more.

There are a lot of plain crosshair and small dot reticles in F class.
You don't need a ranging reticle, you know the distances.
You could use a mil-dot or some other graduated reticle to hold for wind changes but it is as easy to hold center or "9 ring at 3 o'clock" with a plain reticle. And no risk of losing which dot or hashmark you were supposed to be using under given conditions.

In a fixed power scope for simplicity and economy, I find a 36X about all I want for benchrest and maybe a little too much. My 8.5-25X variable crept up from about 16X to 25X as I got used to it, so a fixed 20-24X would be worth considering.

Page generated in 0.02330 seconds with 8 queries