Thread: Sharps BN/SS
View Single Post
Old November 22, 2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Straitshot

I have been shooting a 400gr lead cast bullet .408 diameter by Montana Precision Swaging that I have been buying from Cabelas but I bought a bullet mold to start casting my own since I cast for my 45-70. I am also going to increase my bullet diameter to .409 or .410 as I believe the .408 are a bit small in diameter. I shoot 60 gr. by volume of Goex cartridge black powder. When I seat the bullet I seat it to the bottom of the last grease ring. In other words leave the last grease ring fully exposed above the end of the case. That is so the bullet when chambered will just touch the riflings in the barrel. That will also compress the black powder charge about 1/4". After charging with the black powder I also place a paper disc the proper diameter, cut from half gallon milk cartons, between the powder and the bullet before seating the bullet.

I have not used modern powder because I believe these guns shoot better with black powder and they are easy to clean. I have two 45-70's and a 40-70 and I shoot black powder with them all. I shot a little years ago with modern powder when I got my first one but they seemed to kick harder and to foul the barrel with lead more than with black powder. I also do not think they were as accurate with modern over black.

Anyway, I hope that helps you some.

P.S. I think Montana Bullet Works has a large selection of cast bullets to choose from. I have been thinking of buying some from them. I will probably get something around 400gr. and .409-.410 in diameter. Might also try something in the 385gr. range.

Last edited by Straitshot; November 22, 2011 at 03:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.03836 seconds with 8 queries