View Single Post
Old October 23, 2008, 02:42 AM   #1
JakFrost

Trap Shooting - Which Shotgun to buy? (Research)

I've been doing research as to which shotgun to buy for single-bird Trap shooting. I've been reading articles and come out with Browning as the company that offers the least expensive shotguns for Trap shooting. There is also Perazzi but their prices are beyond my spending limit.

I put together this list of specifications to compare the various Trap versions of shotguns shown below. I have read articles that all agreed that barrel length does not improve accuracy, velocity, or pellet spread. It was recommended to me to get a shotgun with a longer barrel length and since I am tall, 6'2" I have settled on the 32" barrel. The shotguns below all show the 32" versions, except for the first one that does not come in this barrel length version.

Personally, I have tried the BT-99 also I tried an over-under model from Browning and it is very possible that it was one of the Citori ones but I'm not sure exactly since I forgot to ask. Both shotgun handled great and I got a natural line-up with the beads when I first cheek-in the both guns.

Out of this whole list I favor towards the Browning Citori XT Trap with Adjustable Comb because it was recommended by a long time trap shooter over the more expensive Cynergy guns and also because the price is a lot more affordable when compared to the over ~$3,000 prices for other over-unders.

(Personally, I feel that all the over-under and specialized trap, skeet, and sporting shotguns are overpriced by double or triple by the manufacturers since there does not seem to be any logical reason why these guns fetch such high prices when more complex pump-action or semi-auto guns are a fraction of the price. There is also no explanation why there are no $1,500 synthetic or composite over-under guns being sold without the expensive wallnut woodwork and engraved hardware that I don't favor at all.)

So, I'm looking for comments, opinions and recommendations about these choices or other choices that I haven't considered.

Browning BPS Trap
Browning BT-99 Conventional
Browning BT-99 with Adjustable Comb
Browning Citori XT Trap
Browning Citori XT Trap with Adjustable Comb
Browning Cynergy Classic Trap
Browning Cynergy Classic Trap with Adjustable Comb

Attached Images
File Type: gif Shotguns.gif (13.3 KB, 4635 views)

Page generated in 0.02356 seconds with 9 queries