Thread: Goose loads?
View Single Post
Old April 21, 2001, 08:39 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've been reading the occasional article about problems with geese, here and there around the northern, eastern parts of the U.S. All the artificially warmed ponds (power plants, etc.) have reduced the need to migrate further south. And, of course, all those animal lovers who think it's neat to feed the "pretty birdies".

Most goose hunters use full-choke shotguns, and #2 or #4 shot. If 50 yards is the minimum range, I'd go with either #2 or even "0" buck.

There is even an "Extra Full" choke tube for shotguns with screw-in chokes; it's intended for turkeys, which would make it a good answer for geese at 50 yards. (Often called "Turkey Choke".)

Barrel length has almost nothing to do with muzzle velocity and the "power" of the shot, once you're past 18 to 20 inches. The length affects the weight "out front" and thus the swing and balance of the shotgun.

Given the cost of regular, sport goose hunting, in these circumstances I think it would be worth getting a decent Remington 870 (vent rib, 26" or 28" barrel) with screw-in chokes and with the Turkey Choke insert. It would be an all-around gun, whether your geese, upland birds or home defense...

Art

Page generated in 0.02908 seconds with 8 queries