View Single Post
Old February 28, 2014, 07:06 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Have you used a micrometer to check the rounds to see if they are different? So the rounds that are harder to insert in one chamber fit in others?

You don't say if the Smith is new to you or not - if not - any problems in the past with other brands of ammo?

I have had several 22 revolvers over the years where several of the chambers have been "tight". A little polishing compound run with a mop in a drill will polish them up. 22 ammo is basically dirty due to the waxy lube. Was your revolver cleaned well or had you shot quite a few rounds through it and then tried to use the ammo?

I can't speak for the "lot" of bulk ammo you were using - I suppose there is always a chance that some were out of spec. I've used a lot of Winchester over the years and really never have had any issues with it but who knows. Any problems I have had have either been due to the cylinder chamber needing a little polishing.

I did run in to a problem on a vintage Super Bearcat one time with sticky extraction of spent casings in several chambers. When I clean my revolvers, I usually finish with a lightly oiled patch trough the bore and the cylinder chambers - regardless of the caliber. On the Super Bearcat - it had sat long enough that I think what oil was in the cylinder chambers may have "settled" and the tolerances were such that it was causing a problem in making the spent casings extract without being "sticky" or "hard to push out". I just made a point to remember to make sure to run a dry patch through the bore and cylinders prior to shooting.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03480 seconds with 8 queries