View Single Post
Old January 15, 2010, 01:59 PM   #19
RoscoeC

Good point, Zippy13. I am pretty much a casual shooter. I wouldn't see the failure to chamber on an over sized shell as a huge deal, and I certainly wouldn't consider it a failure of the gun.

On the other hand if I were a high level competition shooter, it would be a big deal. I had a Remington 11-87 Premier that was a jam-o-matic. I know how that can send your concentration spinning. All of a sudden your head is wrapped around what is wrong with the gun instead of on the target where it belongs, and your scores head for the basement. In point of fact, that gun was traded in on one of the 390s.

For me, that jam is just a "Sorry guys, let me have that one over". For some it could mean money. In a defensive situation it could mean disaster. This is one of the reasons that pumps are so popular for this application...you can usually muscle that over sized shell into battery and muscle it out if need be.

With regard to the Auto vs. Break open guns, I have several flats of Winchester ammo, 1 oz., that pretty regularly doesn't want to fully eject from my Beretta 686. It has never failed to eject from the 390's. Again, it's not a big deal, I just reach up and flick it out with my hand, but we're back to that concentration thing again, aren't we?

I'm not trying to be contentious, just pointing out that there are all kinds of perspectives.
NRA Life Member

Page generated in 0.02670 seconds with 8 queries