View Single Post
Old September 2, 2013, 07:03 PM   #23
HiBC

I think your action will be good for about anything you want to do with it.A quality large ring 98 is a strong platform and smiths have built all manner of fine rifles on them for over 100 yrs.The 1909 Argentine is one of the prize actions to use.
In my experience,do not expect a typical 98 to have the whole action hardened.They spot hardened them.Locking lug recess,extraction cam,etc.,I have worked performing this spot hardening on parts using a really old induction machine.It works real good.

Try going to Lothar Walther's site.They sell threaded and chambered bbl s for 98's that are very nice,and quite a value.I do not recall if they are short or long chambered,but,iirc,they are long chambered,no reamer required,just a lathe and headspace gages.

Look at a Brownells action truing mandrel and bolt face lapping setup .You do not gave to buy these,they can be made,but the price is not too high.

Check to see the locking lugs bear well,do not pull back on the bolt handle to do this.Pressure on the bolt face is best.Myself,I hi-spot and stone a bit till I get a good bearing both sides,then I lap a little to finish.Magic Marker or cheap cold blue are your friend.

Easiest trigger/safety is a Timney with safety and a commercial bolt sleeve.

Nicer is a Gentry side-swing M-70 type..Let them fit it to your bolt.

Are you going wood,or synthetic for a stock? HiTech Specialties makes a nice 20 oz stock.Glass bedding will be necessary.

Before you start,look at the Montana Arms site,they make a M-70 repro,and look at a CZ action from Brownell's

Do your own thinking,then do it your way.

Page generated in 0.02336 seconds with 8 queries