View Single Post
Old May 9, 2007, 09:06 AM   #15
benedict1

Let's get back on track--

1. The holes, ie, 'cavities', in th disks are measured in cubic centimeters--"cc"
2. The holes work very well with ball powders at even the smallest volumes because ball powders flow well and have less tendency to pick up static charge.

Example: I use the Micro Disk with cavity .21 cc to throw 2.2 gr Win231. I have weighed many charges--they are all 2.2 gr, I see no variation.

3. Starting around cavity size .40 to .43 cc, you will have problems with ALL flake powders, eg., Unique, Red Dot, Green Dot, etc. Any charge weight around 4 gr or less may cause problems with these powders. THIS IS NOT UNIQUE TO LEE PAD. ALL POWDER MEASURES ARE TROUBLESOME IN THIS RANGE.

Example: I use the regular disk to throw 4.7 gr of Unique using the .61 cc cavity. It throws 4.7 gr, ±0.05 gr.

I can actually throw down to about 4.0 gr of Unique consistently. Below that the powder will clump, bridge and flow erratically, often giving charges .2-.5 grains light.

Flake powders like Clays will meter better--the flakes are smaller and don't seem as prone to static charge buildup. I load 3.0 gr of Clays with a .46 cc cavity, very consistent, ±0.05 gr, and have no problem.

I load Green Dot for .45 ACP on my Load Master. The disk throws 5.1 grains--every time--I have not been able to detect any variation with my Lee Safety Scale or Frankford Digital Scale. Set it and forget it--until you open a new can of powder--then check what the cavity throws with your scale--powder lots vary in density and can be off by 10% or more--Lee warns of this in the instructions for the PAB

If you pay attention to the type of powder you should have no problem. No, you will not have to weigh every charge! The PAD is the most consistent powder measure I know of--you just have to use it with the right powders at low charge weights--if you need to go there, use ball powders.

Last edited by benedict1; May 9, 2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: More info.

Page generated in 0.03372 seconds with 8 queries