View Single Post
Old May 6, 2009, 04:33 PM   #12
KingEdward

thanks all for the replies...

I have to be on the lookout for late night door knockers as we have mucho joggers / dog walkers / college students biking / etc.

Plus I am less than 1/4 mile from a by pass off of a major Interstate.

For late night door knockers, I have learned a lot from TFL.

Mainly, Don't open the door (and yes, I keep my ccw either on me late at night, or up on the mantle which is beside the recliner.

It is my choice whether to communicate through door or not. I have porch lights and side window which help. I also may direct loved ones to go to a safe room depending on what the knocking is like and/or what I see through the window.

I've opened the door one time out of probably 50 late night knockers....

there was an 85 year old woman who after some communication through
the door I realized she was saying that she had locked herself out of the house (she lived about 5 houses down). After calling her brother who had spare key (she gave me his phone number) I let her in as she was in a panic and it was thunderstorming outside. He picked her up and thanked me and they went home.

Many other times I have made calls or directed someone towards the highway but I don't open the door and I don't give anyone my telephone.

I do not get into discussions with "magazine" sales folks or those who are
participating in a "fund raiser" either. It's always, through the locked door, thank you so much for stopping by but unfortunately I am not in need of your
services at this time. Thanks again and good luck with your endeavors.

Then it's walk away and go about the evening. I've never had one of those type people hang around or cause trouble.

Page generated in 0.03150 seconds with 8 queries