View Single Post
Old August 15, 2002, 07:44 PM   #10
redrider

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.htm

This is where I have found some 'youth' loads.

Labgrade-- Why is your light load 500fps slower than thiers? Can you share this recipe with me? The slowest load from Hogdson is -- 30-30 at 2000fps and the slow 30-06 is going 2500fps. Both with 60% of max load of H4895. That is what they recomend; is this "60% of max 4895", for a safe light load for any cal listed for 4895. I load both of these cals. But Speer says 1700-2000 range for thier light load of 4198. Hmmm.......

Cajun-- That makes alot of sense. My old man always taught us "You gotta use what's lyin' 'round". IMR 4198 lyin round is what started me on this in the first place!!!!!!!!! In fact I have some old 180's lyin round........

Madison-- I do not currently have the Lee loading manual but will try and get it so I can check out this 'cute' little program.

I have heard that if you go with too little powder it can turn your cartridge into a 'pipe bomb'. I have been told that with big ol' 45-120's and the like (originaly black powder) that light loaders would put just a little bit of powder in the case and fill the rest up with cornmeal to keep the powder packed around the primer. I read or 'hear' alot of different things about reduced loads, like for instance, that a good rule of thumb is that your powder should not lay below the level of the primer when the case is horizontial.

Please feel free to enlighten me or to further confuse me.
Thanks for your input!!!!!!!

Page generated in 0.03562 seconds with 8 queries