View Single Post
Old July 6, 2013, 10:19 PM   #90
603Country

And who amongst us sights in their rifle shooting offhand? Sure it can be done, but it isn't precise. Testing your shooting offhand will tell you where you are shooting with that rifle (and that's good info) and generally where your rifle is shooting, but leaves a bit to be desired - for me anyway. And back in the day (USMC) I was mighty good offhand while shooting for record.

Sight your rifle from the bench and get the feel of the rifle and trigger and then transition to offhand. At that point, once you've done the preliminary work (dare I say...shooting groups), practicing offhand is an excellent idea. Still, as good as I once was, I will rarely ever shoot game offhand if I have almost any other option - such as leaning the rifle against a tree. I tend to practice shooting in the fashion that I will generally hunt deer, pigs, and coyotes, which is with the forend supported.

Much better to shoot groups and then shoot offhand than to not shoot groups and then shoot offhand. At least that's true for us mortals, regular guys, and basic hunters.

I don't much really care how most folks choose to practice their shooting, but I do think that shooting groups has an important place in working up to good marksmanship.

Last edited by 603Country; July 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.03312 seconds with 8 queries