View Single Post
Old January 5, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1
bhafen

Need Help Choosing a Rifle

Hello all, this is my first post on these forums and I am looking for a little help. I have actually researched this topic almost to death in the last month and am now just asking for some opinions of what you might do if you were facing the same situation.

I am looking for a gun that I can carry with me when I'm hiking in the brush in Utah and Montana. I wouldn't mind also being able to possibly do some hunting with the rifle. So it is important that the gun in fairly light but it isn't that big of a deal I am 6'5 220 and don't think length will effect me too much. I am also considering the fact that I may take it to Alaska at some point. I hunt in north western Montana so the chance of browns in fairly high but not like Alaska.

Listed below are the guns I am considering and the pros and cons I have determined through research.

Rossi M92: This gun is light, affordable, and apparently well made. Problem is you read a lot of negative about them on some forums. Cracking stocks, coming apart under casull pressures and so on.

Henry Big Boy: Made in the USA and they seem to have a really good wrap for that. Downside is they're heavy and I don't think they look as good as the 92

Marlin 1895: This gun offers the 45-70 caliber which is apparently a good round it is also a Marlin which seems to be the Glock of rifle. (i.e. everyone either loves or hates them) problem is it is 26" long on the barrel and even to me that seems a little long plus it has 2 pounds on the rossi.

I have also looked at a gun from Taylor's and Co. possibly an umberti? I'm not sure but that seems expensive for a gun that will be beat up in the wilderness.

Calibers:
Originally I was really interested in the 454 casull from rossi because it is big packs punch and can typically feed the 45 colt without issues. the 454 casull rossi is very hard to come by so I may just end up with a 45 colt model because for all purposes the 45 colt seems quite good on paper. The 454 though could be used for 45 colt plinking and 454 casull woods carry.

I haven't considered the 44 magnum because the 45 colt seems slightly cheaper and can also be loaded hot enough to where it is almost a 44 magnum anyways. Also apparently less recoil.

I like the 45-70 on paper as well but apparently it kicks like a mule and it drops speed quickly so it is hard to judge shooting it at ranges 100+ yards.

Anyways any advice or opinions would be appreciated because I need to make a decision hopefully by tomorrow because I have the Rossi Casull on order but it will take months to show up apparently.

Thanks for reading.

Page generated in 0.02988 seconds with 8 queries