View Single Post
Old January 18, 2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, it's not as clear as that...

From ATF's website:

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

A: Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

Livelihood generally means that you derive a significant portion of your income from the ongoing sale of an item or activity. There's no litmus test as to what portion that may be, but it would be hard, if not impossible, for anyone to contend that selling two or three $15 boxes of .38 ammo, total profit of $25, constitutes a livelihood.

But, note that the statement is "livelihood AND profit," which means to me that BOTH elements would have to be true for you to need a license.

If you sold them at cost?

BIG grey area, but one that seems to fall outside of the wording of the law.

A private individual selling the occasional box of reloads is really (or should be) analagous to the private individual selling the occasional gun from his personal collection.

It would be very good practice, though, to not let anyone have your reloads on the noted grounds of personal liability.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; January 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.02041 seconds with 8 queries